Crossing border in a rental car from Portugal to SpainNow that Portugal and Spain have reopened their mutual border after almost three and a half month closure to prevent the spread of coronavirus, travel bugs can take a sigh of relief. Referred to as ‘A Raia’ and ‘la Raya’ in the Portuguese and Spanish languages respectively, the 754-mile-long Portugal-Spain border is one of the longest international borders in the European Union (EU). As both Portugal and Spain are members of the EU, you can freely travel from one country to another. Also, people traveling from Portugal to Spain no longer have to stay in for 14 days home quarantine, though wearing masks is still necessary at all places. However, there is some critical information on border crossings, insurance, and extra fee that you need to know before making a plan to go for a one-way car hire from Portugal to Spain or considering a car rental Spain to Portugal one-way trip. Especially, during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, it is important to make all the arrangements in advance. Also, keep yourself aware with the latest updates from travel advisories.
Portugal-Spain border crossingsOut of all the land border crossings mentioned below, the world-famous Guadiana International Bridge, connecting Portugal’s Castro Marim with Ayamonte in Spain, is the most popular one. One of the longest bridges in Europe, the 666-meter-long Guadiana International Bridge is built over the River Guadiana.
|Cross Border Road Trip – Portugal-Spain||Rental Car Pick-up Location in Portugal|
|1.||Vilar Formoso to Fuentes de Oñoro||Guarda|
|2.||Caminha to Galicia||Viana do Castelo|
|3.||Bragança to Galicia||Bragança|
|4.||Portalegre to Badajoz||Portalegre|
|5.||Elvas to Badajoz||Portalegre|
|6.||Castro Marim to Ayamonte||Faro, Faro Airport|
|7.||Vila Real de Santo António to Ayamonte||Faro, Faro Airport|
Benefits of Car Rental for Road-trip during COVID19 Outbreak?More than the freedom to travel wherever you want, during this pandemic renting a car has a lot of other benefits to provide. Travelers can have complete control over the situation while on the road trip. Some of the other advantages of renting a car, especially during these uncertain times are:
- Best practice for social distancing
- Easy booking modifications
- Free cancellation(up to 48 hours before pick up).
- Get properly sanitized cars
Car rental companies providing services during COVID-19Many car rental companies offer car hire deals that customers can pick in Portugal and drive to Spain. In this case, both one-way and round trips are offered by the suppliers. With Portugal Rental Cars, you can plan a one-way rental as well as a round trip. Just don’t forget to pack your essentials like face masks, gloves, hand sanitizers, wipes, etc. and you are good to go. Some of the car hire companies that provide deals for the drive are:
- Avis Rent-A-Car
- Keddy by Europcar
Cross-border fee for Portugal to Spain car hireThough a few car hire agencies do not charge extra for cross-border travel, most of them require you to pay for a mandatory insurance cover alongside a cross-border fee. The cross-border fee is dependent on the supplier and subject to change. Always confirm from your rental car company for any changes in the one-way car hire fee. Also, Mini, economy, compact, van/minivan are the most booked rental car categories for Portugal to Spain cross-border trips.
|Car Rental Company||Cross-Border Fee for Spain||Supplier Permission Required|
|Keddy by Europcar||Free||Yes|
Important points to know before driving your Portugal car rental in Spain
- As international treaties govern cross-border travel, do check with your car hire supplier before driving a rental car from Portugal to Spain and in case you plan to rent a car in Spain and return to Portugal.
- With all the frequent changes in travel advisories from the government, it is advised that you should get fully acquainted with the latest updates before planning a trip.
- Being members of the EU does not mean that the driving rules will be the same in both countries. It is advisable to learn more about driving rules in Spain before embarking on a cross-border trip.
- Driving a rental car across the border without informing your supplier can void your existing insurance. Also, you will be held liable for any damages in the event of a collision/theft outside the home country.
Portugal to Spain car rental FAQsUsing a car hire from Portugal Rental Cars makes it way too convenient to cover both Portugal and Spain in one trip. While you may not initially book cross-border car hire, it can be driven to Spain easily. Portugal to Spain cross-border car rental is fairly popular among people from all walks of life, from large groups of leisure tourists to business travelers. As both countries share the longest uninterrupted international border in the European continent, renting a car in Portugal for Spain is pretty common. While there are no border controls as such on either side, hiring a car in Portugal for Spain requires a bit of planning. Have a look at the following most commonly asked questions about Portugal to Spain car hire.
- Can I rent a car in Portugal and drop off in Spain? Yes, you can hire a car from Portugal to Spain. Go for a one-way car rental Portugal to Spain to drop-off your rental car at any of the supplier’s locations in Spain. Please note that one way Portugal to Spain car rental fee will be applicable in this case.
- Do I have to stay in quarantine if I travel from Portugal to Spain? No, people traveling from Portugal to Spain don’t have to stay in quarantine. However, it is advised to keep checking the latest travel-related updates from the authorities.
- Can I hire a car in Portugal and drive to Spain? Yes, you can take a rental from Portugal to Spain after informing your rental car supplier well in advance. While renting a car in Portugal and driving to Spain is preferred by several people, it may require prior permission from the car hire company concerned.
- How do I pay tolls in Spain while driving a car rental from Portugal?