Crossing border in a rental car from Portugal to SpainReferred to as ‘A Raia’ and ‘la Raya’ in the Portuguese and Spanish languages respectively, the 754-mile-long Portugal-Spain border is one of the longest international borders in the European Union (EU). As both Portugal and Spain are members of the EU, you can freely travel from one country to another. However, there is some critical information on border crossings, insurance, and extra fee that you need to know before making a plan to go for one-way car hire from Portugal to Spain or considering a car rental Spain to Portugal one-way trip.
Portugal-Spain border crossingsOut of all the land border crossings mentioned below, the world-famous Guadiana International Bridge, connecting Portugal’s Castro Marim with Ayamonte in Spain, is the most popular one. One of the longest bridges in Europe, the 666-meter-long Guadiana International Bridge is built over the River Guadiana.
|Cross Border Road Trip – Portugal-Spain||Rental Car Pick-up Location in Portugal|
|1.||Vilar Formoso to Fuentes de Oñoro||Guarda|
|2.||Caminha to Galicia||Viana do Castelo|
|3.||Bragança to Galicia||Bragança|
|4.||Portalegre to Badajoz||Portalegre|
|5.||Elvas to Badajoz||Portalegre|
|6.||Castro Marim to Ayamonte||Faro, Faro Airport|
|7.||Vila Real de Santo António to Ayamonte||Faro, Faro Airport|
Cross-border fee for Portugal to Spain car hireThough a few car hire agencies do not charge extra for cross-border travel, most of them require you to pay for a mandatory insurance cover alongside a cross-border fee. Mini, economy, compact, van/minivan are the most booked rental car categories for Portugal to Spain cross-border trip. Have a look at international one-way/cross-border fee charged by 5 leading rental car suppliers.
|Car Rental Company||Cross-Border Fee for Spain||Supplier Permission Required|
|Keddy by Europcar||Free||Yes|
Important points to know before driving your Portugal car rental in Spain
- As international treaties govern cross-border travel, do check with your car hire supplier before driving a rental car from Portugal to Spain and in case you plan to rent a car in Spain and return in Portugal.
- Being members of the EU does not mean that the driving rules will be the same in both countries. It is advisable to learn more about driving rules in Spain before embarking on a cross-border trip.
- The cross-border fee is dependent on supplier and subject to change. Always confirm from your rental car company for any changes in the one-way car hire fee.
- Having the same pick-up and drop-off location with a brief spell of international travel qualifies as cross-border car rental. For instance, if you pick up car hire at Lisbon Airport, drive into Spain, and drop your rental car again at Lisbon Airport, you’ll be charged a cross-border fee in addition to the regular rental tariff.
- Driving a rental car across the border without informing your supplier can void your existing insurance. Also, you will be held liable for any damages in the event of a collision/theft outside the home country.
Portugal to Spain car rental FAQsUsing a car hire makes it way too convenient to cover both Portugal and Spain in one trip. While you may not initially book cross-border car hire, it can be driven to Spain easily. Portugal to Spain cross-border car rental is fairly popular among people from all walks of life, from large groups of leisure tourists to business travelers. As both countries share the longest uninterrupted international border in the European continent, renting a car in Portugal for Spain is pretty common. While there are no border controls as such on either side, hiring a car in Portugal for Spain requires a bit of planning. Have a look at the following most commonly asked questions about Portugal to Spain car hire.
- Can I rent a car in Portugal and drop off in Spain?
Yes, you can hire a car from Portugal to Spain. Go for a one way car rental Portugal to Spain to drop-off your rental car at any of the supplier’s location in Spain. Please note that one way Portugal to Spain car rental fee will be applicable in this case.
- Can I hire a car in Portugal and drive to Spain?
Yes, you can take a rental from Portugal to Spain after informing your rental car supplier well in advance. While renting a car in Portugal and driving to Spain is preferred by several people, it may require prior permission from the car hire company concerned.
- How do I pay tolls in Spain while driving a car rental from Portugal?
As international car rentals Portugal to Spain always remain in demand, rental car companies in Portugal provide you with an electronic toll payment tag. In Spain, you also have a choice to pay tolls by cash or credit card.